Saturday, 17 July 2021
Title: White Flag (Bendera Putih)
By: Chan Yew Thai
White Flag Campaign or Bendera Putih was started by the people of Malaysia for people who are in desperate need for food and help. Out of compassion for the needy, this campaign was born and was later supported by NGOs, corporates and individuals. All they need to do is to raise a white flag in their premises, inform the organisers via WhatsApp their name and location, and help will be provided with no questions asked.
Similarly, Christians are taught by Jesus to do these acts of love when Jesus in Matthew 22:39 (NKJV) said, “And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbour as yourself.’” Jesus explained the meaning of neighbour in the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:36-37): “He who showed mercy on him.” And He continued by saying, “Go and do likewise.”
In another passage, Paul told the Galatians to “Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.” (Galatians 6:2). Paul was telling the Galatians to share each other’s load when one fell by showing concern and mutual support out of love as the new principle revealed in Jesus Christ in John 15:12 – “This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”
You may ask, “How do I love my neighbour and share one another’s burden?” As a lone individual what can I do, especially in this MCO/EMCO environment where movements are restricted?
Answer: Plenty and most of it do not require you to leave your house.
- Pray for your neighbours, friends, family, extended family and even those whom you do not know, who are sick, lost their main income stream or feeling depressed and hopeless.
- Make phone calls to those who are living alone and feeling trapped at home. You can encourage them to do likewise by calling others. That way, they will feel connected and will not be lonely or have the feeling of being forgotten. Conversations need not be serious. It can be something light or silly where you can have a good laugh. The objects of the calls need not be to the lonely ones. It can be to anybody to show that you care and remember them.
- For those who are more tech savvy, you can WhatsApp or Zoom call a group of people and have a virtual meet-up and enjoy some fun. Alternatively, you can send an email.
- Order food and send it to people whom you are aware in need and give them a pleasant surprise.
- For those who want to provide financial assistance, there are lots of need out there requesting for donations, contributions to food banks, etc. You can identify a project and ask some friends to assist.
- The list is not exhaustive. Stretch your imagination.
Brothers and Sisters, there is much we can do to show our love for the community, friends and families that glorify God. Let us not tarry, but start doing our small share in our own quiet way. We may not be able to do much that is noticeable, however little drops of water over time will make a mighty ocean. Do not be discouraged. Arise and shine for Jesus.
Dear Lord Jesus, grant us the wisdom to know what to do that will glorify You. Help us not to wallow in despair, but to only shine for You. Grant us divine appointments, and lead us to those in need. In Your mighty name we pray. Amen!
星期六 2021 年 7 月 17 日
翻譯 : 王靖端姐妹
白旗運動或 Bendera Putih 是由馬來西亞民眾為急需食物和援助的國人發起的。源於對有需要的人的關愛、憐憫和同情，這項運動誕生了，後來得到了非政府組織、企業和個人的鼎力支持。任何人只需在住家豎起白旗，再通過 WhatsApp 通知主辦單位自己的姓名和住址，將毫無質疑地得到協助。
同樣的，基督徒被耶穌教導要對鄰里做這些出於愛的行為。耶穌在馬太福音 22章39節中說：“其次也相倣，就是要愛人如己。“ 耶穌在路加福音 10章36-37節好撒瑪利亞人的比喻中，解釋了鄰居的含義時說 “是憐憫他的。”衪繼續說：“你去照樣行罷。”
在另一段經文加拉太書 6章2節中，保羅告訴加拉太人“你們各人的重擔要互相擔當，如此，就完全了基督的律法。” 保羅告訴加拉太人要分擔彼此的重荷，當一個人跌倒時，出於愛表現出關心和相互支持，正如約翰福音 15 章 12 節耶穌基督所啟示的新原則——“你們要彼此相愛，像我愛你們一樣，這就是我的命令。”
您可能會問：“我如何去愛我的鄰居並分擔彼此的重負？”作為一個單獨的個人，我能做什麼，尤其是在這個行動受限制的 “行動管制/加強行動管制 “(MCO/EMCO) 的大環境中？
- 對於那些通曉科技的人，您可以通過 WhatsApp 或 Zoom 召集一群人並進行虛擬聚會而玩得開心。或者，您可以向別人發送電子郵件。